While our selection of greens, fruits, and veggies vary by the week, nearly every single Ferry Building shop delivery from the ranch includes edible bouquets. Perhaps it's our forgiving California climate that provides year-round blooms, or maybe it's that our garden gals have a knack for looking beyond flowers for creative accents with flowering herbs, colorful vegetable leaves, and even ruffled leaves of red Russian kale.
Borage and calendula on burrata with Extra Virgin olive oil
No matter what they put together, each week brings a stunning taste of the season, offering a little variation from the week before and a nice variety of petals, textures, and colors to pull from in the kitchen.
Five of our favorite ways to enjoy or share these colorful edible bouquets.
1. GARNISH - add a touch of color to drab dips, hummus, fresh cheeses; or sprinkle over soups and salads just before serving.
2. SWEETEN YOUR SWEETS - edible flowers make lovely, fresh toppers for cakes or cupcakes; we also like to candy petals for a longer-lasting baking garnish or preserve them with our jams and marmalades.
3. STEEPED - feverfew, calendula, or spearmint make excellent herbal teas; petals can also be added to the tub for an extra special soak.
4. NICER ICE- fill empty ice cube trays with individual petals or whole flowers, depending on the flower's size; cover with water, freeze and enjoy with your favorite cocktail.
5. GIFT - surprise a friend or loved one with these sweet bouquets.
Edible flower bouquets are available, fresh from the Ranch, most Tuesdays and Friday afternoons in our SF Ferry Building shop.