A jar of preserves makes a great addition to any picnic basket, whether you plan to lay out a blanket with a group of friends in a city park or spend the day with one special someone overlooking the ocean. With Memorial Day weekend approaching, picnic season has officially begun. Here are 8 ways to liven up any picnic with our favorite preserves:
1) Bring a jar of preserves, two or three cheeses, salami, and a baguette for a simple and rustic afternoon.
2) Stir a few spoonfuls of Meyer Lemon Marmaladeinto a bowl of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries for a fanciful fruit salad.
3) Ahead of time brew your favorite breakfast blend tea (we like Assam Breakfast Blend). Stir in 1 - 2 tablespoons Apple & Lavender Jellyper cup so that you can taste it through the flavor of the tea. On location pour over ice for a subtly sweet treat.
4) Put roast turkey, mayonnaise or aioli, arugula, and Plum & Anise Preserves on your favorite flatbread. Roll the flatbred, secure with toothpicks and cut into pinwheels.
5) Add a spoonful of a citrus marmalade to your go-to coleslaw recipe for a summery twist.
6) Pack a jar of Apple & Lavender Jellyand a bottle of sparkling wine for an elegant and portable cocktail. Just stir 1-2 tsp of jelly into each glass of bubbly before enjoying. Or substitute bubbly water, jelly, and a squirt of lemon juice for a tamer treat.
7) Make a simple vinaigrette ahead of time with olive oil, preserves, and salt. Dress a green salad on location.
8) For a portable dessert, try making a fruit filled hand pie with fresh fruit and preserves on the inside (add some cream cheese or ricotta for extra gooey deliciousness). Try Martha Stewart's recipeor try a recipe that uses ready made pizza dough.