Inspired by Beard on Bread by James Beard and adapted from David Leibovitz Persimmon Bread.
Two 9-inch Loaves 3½ cups sifted flour 1½ teaspoons salt 2 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1½ cups sugar 1 cup melted unsalted butter and cooled to room temperature 4 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten 2/3 cup cognac, bourbon or whiskey
1 cup Hachiya persimmon puree (from about 2 squishy-soft Hachiya persimmons)
1 cup banana puree (from 2 overripe bananas) 1 cup Fuyu persimmon, diced
Storage: Will keep for about a week, if well-wrapped, at room temperature. The Persimmon Breads take well to being frozen, too.
- Butter 2 loaf pans. Line the bottoms with a piece of parchment paper or dust with flour and tap out any excess.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the first 5 dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center then stir in the butter, eggs, liquor and fruit puree.
- Add diced Fuyu persimmons and pour into prepared baking dishes.
- Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.