Winter Pear & Blue Cheese Salad
This is a delicious and elegant salad to serve before, during or even after dinner! It can be made in just a few minutes. It’s important to use perfectly ripe pears which you can test for by pressing gently on the top of the pear near its stem. It should give and be soft. But don’t wait so long for the pears to over ripen and develop bruises, because it’s nice when they hold their shape well when cut. I like Bartlett pears, but certainly use what you have on hand at this time of year; they are all tasty. When you make a recipe like this with so few ingredients it’s important to make sure they are all excellent quality. Fresh lemon juice is imperative (frankly that goes for all recipes)! Last but certainly not least, this recipe was inspired by my new bottle of freshly milled Extra Virgin Olio Nuovo (“new oil”), it’s extremely delicious. Serve with some crusty toasted French bread on the side, you’ll enjoy sopping up the dressing with it!
- 1/3 cup of McEvoy Ranch Extra Virgin Olio Nuovo
- 1 T Dijon Mustard (do not substitute)
- 1 t salt (good quality fleur de sel or Himalayan if you have it)
- 1 t black pepper (freshly ground, do not leave this out!)
- 2 ripe pears (Bartlett suggested)
- 4oz Blue Cheese (Point Reyes Original Blue highly recommended)
- 1 scallion (finely chopped)
Salad Dressing Ingredients
Wash, dry, and core your pears. Cut them into “bite-sized” pieces
Crumble your blue cheese (big chunks are fine)
Stir the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.
Toss gently and serve on salad plates
Serve with a piece of toasted sourdough or other bread you have on hand