In the spirit of grounding and connecting with the changing season, we hosted another wellness event at the ranch recently featuring yoga, meditation and wine and food pairings, plus a therapeutic DIY botanical facial steam spa workshop led by our Ode Natural Beauty team.
Using easy-to-find fresh or dried flowers, herbs, roots and essential oils, we taught guests how to treat their senses with a DIY spa treatment with easy-to-find, inexpensive ingredients. Steaming relaxes the mind, moisturizes dry skin, opens pores to cleanse the skin of impurities and increases circulation to give your face a warm, healthy glow.Hibiscus flowers – emollient, skin calming Marshmallow root – healing, skin softening, plumping—great for dry skin Lemon Verbena – refreshing, brightening Rose petals – aromatic, astringent Calendula – gentle and healing for all skin types Lavender: soothing, calming Spearmint: stimulating, decongesting Rose Geranium essential oil – restores balance in all skin types Rosemary essential oil – clarifying, slightly astringent, good for oily skin Eucalyptus essential oil – purifying, cleanses the respiratory system, good for oily skin Ode Natural Beauty Blood Orange essential oil blend: Blood Orange, Tangerine, Grapefruit, Neroli, Vetiver – refreshing, uplifting Ode Natural Beauty Lavender essential oil blend: Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Lemon + Lime – calming, soothing
- Gently wash face with cool water before beginning; if wearing make-up, remove it naturally with organic jojoba oil.
- Mix dried or fresh herbs and flowers in a large heatproof bowl to total 1/2 c – 1 cup; add 4-5 drops essential oil, if desired.
- Boil 3 c water and pour over herbs; immediately cover bowl with a towel or lid so to trap oils and aromatics.
- Allow botanicals to steep for 5 minutes.
- Find a comfortable sitting or kneeling position and lean face over the bowl about 6” – 8” from water, draping head and bowl with a large towel to prevent steam from escaping.
- Keeping eyes closed, inhale deeply for maximum therapeutic benefits. Purify and steam for 5-10 minutes, coming up from steam as necessary to the point where you skin sweats but does not uncomfortably burn
- Pat dry and wipe face with a cool washcloth to close pores and follow with a toner if desired
- Relax in sivasana for a few minutes. Repeat weekly.
To find out about our future wellness events, visit our Workshops & Events page.