While our selection of greens, fruits and veggies vary by the week, nearly every single Ferry Building shop delivery from the ranch includes edible bouquets. Perhaps it’s our forgiving California climate that provides year-round blooms, or maybe it’s just that our garden girls have a knack for looking beyond flowers for creative accents with flowering herbs, colorful vegetable leaves and even ruffled leaves of red russian kale.
No matter what they put together, each week brings a stunning taste of the season, offering a little variation from the week before and a nice variety of petals, textures and colors to pull from in the kitchen.
Here are five of our favorite ways to enjoy or share these colorful edible bouquets:
1. GARNISH – add a touch of color to drab dips, hummus, fresh cheeses; or sprinkle over soups and salads just before serving
2. SWEETEN YOUR SWEETS – edible flowers make a lovely, fresh toppers for cakes or cupcakes; we also like to candy petals for a longer-lasting baking garnish, or preserve them with our jams and marmalades, like our jam maker, ellen likes to do!
3. STEEPED – feverfew, calendula, or spearmint make excellent herbal teas; petals can also be added to the tub for an extra special soak
4. NICER ICE – fill empty ice cube trays with individual petals or whole flowers, depending on flower’s size; cover with water, freeze and enjoy with your favorite cocktail
5. GIFT – surprise a friend or loved one with these sweet bouquets
Edible flower bouquets are available, fresh from the ranch, each Tuesday and Friday afternoon in our SF Ferry Building shop.
And here’s a look at some of our favorite edible blooms from the ranch…
What’s your favorite?