When we tasted these cookies, one of our colleagues commented that Santa would be happy to find these as a surprise - a savory respite from all those sugary offerings.
Whether you are enjoying them for your cocktail party or offering them to Santa, they are a treat. They freeze well too!
These “cookies” are disarming. They look exactly like sweet thumbprint cookies but in fact are a savory appetizer. The dough is short and tender, the pecans crunchy and the jam smoky and spicy. They are a delicious and handsome addition to a party platter.
1-½ cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 large egg yolk
½ tsp. Aleppo Pepper
1 - ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
1 cup of either McEvoy Ranch Spicy Sweet Pepper Jam orSavory Fig Jam
- In a food processor, pulse together Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses and butter until smooth.
- Add egg yolk and pepper and pulse until blended.
- Add flour and pulse until the dough comes together.
- Place 1 cup of water in a bowl.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop tablespoon-size balls of dough and roll with your hands into 1 inch balls.
- Drop balls into the water, remove quickly, drain excess water and roll in pecans to coat.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Make an indentation in the center of each ball with your thumb or the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and fill the indentations with jam
- Return to oven and bake another 5 to 7 minutes.