Entering the New Year with our good intentions intact can be challenging.Treat yourself to this simple but seemingly indulgent "steak" for dinner.
Cauliflower Steak with Classic Italian BruschettaRecipe by Jacquelyn Buchanan Serves 2 This is the perfect peacemaker. It works for vegetarians and satisfies those who want a “hearty steak.” Savor this withMcEvoy Ranch Pacheco Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignonas the dish’s flavors stand up nicely to the wine’s herbal aromatics. Ingredients 1 large cauliflower 2 Tbs.McEvoy Ranch Traditional Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided 1 jarMcEvoy Ranch Classic Italian Bruschetta 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice, divided 1 Tbs. sea salt, divided Parmesan or other hard cheese for grating Directions
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Remove outer green leaves from the cauliflower and trim stem end, leaving the core intact.
- Slice lengthwise through the center of the cauliflower, then make another cut to the left, then to the right of the center cut. The core should be attached to keep the steak intact. You will have two steaks approximately 2” thick.
- Rub one side of each steak with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and salt lightly.
- Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil in heavy skillet - cast iron preferred.
- Carefully place steaks, salted side down, in pan and cook 5 minutes.
- Brush the top of each steak in pan with remaining lemon juice, salt, and a tablespoon of olive oil and turn over gently.
- Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Spoon ½ jar of the bruschetta on top of each cauliflower steak.
- Place pan in oven and roast for 12-15 minutes until the core is tender.
- Remove from the oven.
- Grate Parmesan, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Asiago, or other hard cheese on top.